Thursday, September 19, 2013

I Kissed a boy and I liked it.

My friend kissed a boy and she didn’t. We all have heard the infamous pop lyrics of Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" at least a time or two; if not here's the link to the video is here
Strange concept? Sort of. Confusing? Maybe at first. Worthy of my (or anyone else’s) hatred? Not in the slightest. 
Why homosexuality has been deemed a reason for people to hate anyone, beats me. I really don’t understand it. There’s nothing to be gained from it whatsoever. Furthermore, I don’t understand why homosexuals would be viewed as less than people. They’re good people, not in the sense of bad vs. good, or the sense that being gay makes one bad, but rather because they are human beings. Nothing makes them any different from you or I. They are fully capable of realizing any potential that another human has, heterosexual or not. They are in perfect working order. 
And while I can’t say I understand fully the plight, I can say I’m familiar. I’ve been discriminated against for being young, intelligent, and sometimes socially awkward. I don’t mean that childish teasing (though I got that too); I mean that I had teachers give me Bs in classes even though that paper deserved an A.
Why? Because my point of view isn't the same as yours? Because homosexuality is outside of convention? Well, to hell with that. There’s no harm being done in being different; it’s the anomalies that are causing forward progress. I understand that there’s a fear of the unknown because I have it too. I fear not knowing what’s going to happen; I fear what I don’t understand. The thing is, I try to understand it. I don’t try to get rid of it. I don’t decide to hate it. I don’t condemn it. That’s such backward thinking.
So let me leave you with this to ponder for a moment: 
We, as humans, are still animals. And as animals, we are natural competitors. Should we not appreciate those who are not competing against us? Think about it. 

1 comment:

  1. I like where you were going with this blog, but you needed to provide an image and analyze it. I am sure there is an image out there that upon analysis would strengthen your argument. Gay and lesbian rights are definitely a political topic and there were multiple ways you could’ve expanded on this.

    1 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete